Monday, January 2, 2012

Brainstorming - Resolutions

As promised, I'm going to enter this space more frequently. And, it wouldn't be January 3rd and the re-re-re-newal of this bloggy space without some talk of resolutions. 

So, the thing is, I love setting goals and/or random routine procedures, truly. I get a kick out of it.  However, over the years I've learned a few things:

  • A goal set at the beginning of the year, rarely makes it to the end (espeically those to do with health, spirituality and other 'routine' aspects).
  • Weekends and Holidays trump all goals and usually cause me to lose progress.
  • I live my life in 'seasons' and sometimes January season goals don't mesh with where I'm at come March or July.
So, I've got some things in mind.  Back in September I ran across a TEDTalk regarding 30 day challenges. I committed 30 days to drinking water, daily prayer and a small bit of stretching and toning. I intended to update, but never did. Fortunately, that experience closely relates to where I'm heading in regards to new year's resolutions, so they can share this post ^_^

Those 30 days were, for me, a confirmation of the above bulleted points.  It's completely reasonable to committ yourself to something or other for 30 days.  Weekends still threw me off, but by offering myself a touch of grace, I realized that two cups of water, a handful of sit-ups and push-ups and even focused prayer is easy to implement into my routine.  Since then, I often still drink water in the morning and yearn to be on my yoga mat for prayer, stretching and toning - although, none of it is embedded.

So this year, for my resolutions, I plan to take things 30 days at a time, or a season at a time.  Not to say there won't be some overarching goals that I hope to work toward throughout the year.  Just to imply that I can see where 30 days is going better than I can see where a year is going.  I know that we'll be travelling in January and February. I also know I have an MAED to finish up.  I also know that March will be the beginning of a new semester with some new co-workers.  These facts affect my effectiveness in regards to meeting goals, so rather than be discouraged by February because it's too cold to run outside and journaling and Bible reading aren't going as smoothly as desired and wanting to give up, I'm going to consider what is possible in terms of what's going on. I'm going to consider what has already passed and what I need to do to ensure I remain healthy in all senses of the word.

So, some things I have in mind for January...

  • Daily or every-other-day flossing
  • Regular journaling - not sure what I want this to look like, daily would be ideal
  • Lots of reading, at least 5-6 this month would be ideal (I committed 50 books in 2012 to my Goodreads account. With the end of the MAED in sight, I'm sure it's possible)
  • Renewed committment to push-ups and sit-ups and time on the yoga mat
Other things on my 2012/Winter Vacation to-do list:
  • Write more letters
  • Complete travel journal for 2010 around the world adventures (eeeek!)
  • Maintain this blog space
  • Strengthen the communities I belong to both near and far
  • Drink more smoothies
  • Eat delicious and home-made breads
  • More fruits and veggies
  • Seek to be more intentional in my marriage
Turns out if I avoid this place long enough, I come back filled with an abundance of words and rambling.

(Typed while sipping on a cafe mocha from a Paris Baguette take-out cup -- which is adorable, by the way, perhaps I'll post a photo later ^.^)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...