Sunday, January 29, 2012

Book 2012: Unconventional

UnconventionalUnconventional by J.J. Hebert

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a story about custodial duties, passions, love, dreams, despair, hope, hardship and overcoming. A young janitor. Talented writer. Neglected by his father. Loved by his girlfriend. Hated by said girlfriend's parents. Befriened by important and loving figures. Eventually finds the life he's always yearnd for.

"The greatest and most inspiring achievements are not produced by those who conform to society's idea of normal, but by those who courageously adopt the unconventional." (page 1/location 169)

"Children aren't born prejudiced. They don't hate. They don't degrade. They learn these things from society. This is one of the greatest tragedies in the world: the circle of prejudice." (page 58/location 1477)

View all my reviews

A few other things about this reading:
I read this in it's entirety while on vacation which just feels GREAT! That I was on vacation. That I had time to read. That I finished something. Absolutely fantastic. I began at Incheon Airport, South Korea and finished at Paradise Hotel in Taipei, Taiwan (Paradise is an overstatement...) It was light, it was easy and refreshing, it lacked the heavier material of 'There is No Me Without You" which is still weighing heavy on my heart and mind.

(Typed with the instant granules of Maxim Caramel Machiatto coursing through my veins)

1 comment:

Micah and SaraJane said...

Very interested in this read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...