Sunday, January 8, 2012

Book 2012: Blue Like Jazz

Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian SpiritualityBlue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality by Donald Miller

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I can't remember exactly when I read Blue Like Jazz the first time, but as an end/beginning to 2011/2012 it has been absolutely perfect.


Donald Miller finds himself living amongst the people and students of Reed college, living missionaly and intentionally and without all the 'normal' fellowship aspects the church and ministry groups generally prescribe. And he learns so much. And he shares so much. And nothing else could have offered me the depth and sincerity of insight as I currently live in a land where most of my friends, my community doesn't ascribe to the 'normal' fellowship aspects church community requires, affords, etc. And I love that. And I needed to work through it in the way Don Miller makes possible. (And I wrote about it a few weeks ago here, if your're interested)


(I highlighted over 40 passages in the book - I'm not going to pretend that these are my favorites, just some that I want to share)


"Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way." Location 63


"Many of the students hated the very idea of God, and yet they cared about people more than I did." Location 621


"My belief in Jesus did not seem rational or scientific, and yet there was nothing I could do to separate myself from this belief." Location 807


"Self-discipline will never make us feel righteous or clean; accepting God's love will. The ability to accept God's unconditional grace and ferocious love is all the fuel we need to obey Him in return." Location 1083


Photobucket
"I want my spirituality to rid me of hate, not to give me reason for it." Location 1704


"It was the affection of Christ, not the brutality of a town, that healed Zaccheaus." Location 2261


"I was tired of biblical ethic being used as a tool with which to judge people rather than heal them." Location 2716
View all my reviews

A few other notes: I bought a set of three Donald Miller books on my Kindle knowing that I desired deeply to feel closer to Christ, to feel like I was 'doing' spiritual and truly like I was challenging my soul to think about what I believe and be encouraged to act on those beliefs.  Blue Like Jazz served that purpose well.  I most often read through these pages while lying in bed, hoping for prayer motivation and a restful nights sleep to follow. It definitely fueled prayer. It's hard to usher in sleep when at least one person in bed is sick or neighbors decide the garage below our apartment is ideal location for throwing back a few beers.  Nonetheless, an enjoyable and timely read.

If you've read Blue Like Jazz, what are your thoughts? When did you read it and how did it affect you at that time? What do you remember most?

(Typed while trying to decide where to go for lunch...cafe for small sandwich and coffee or cheaper, quicker meal followed by instant coffee upon my return to this desk which requires my warming...)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...