Sunday, January 1, 2012

Book: The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the RainThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I really enjoyed the style of this book, the insightful, clever narration of Enzo the dog was so enjoyable and really has me seeing our own dog in a different light (I think I should 'teach' her more about what I know ^.~). Not only is the narration clever and unique, the story line is moving, connected, engaging and insightful.
If dog's could write memoirs, 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' would definitely set the tone and expectation.
"People and their rituals. They cling to things so hard sometimes." - page 8

Something I've learned, especially living abroad. Example: Eggnog is a Christmas ritual, therefore, one must make eggnog when living in a non-eggnog providing market.

"all dogs are progressively inclined regarding social issues." - page 20

That a girl Lady Annyeong!

"...that which we manifest is before us; we are the creators of our own destiny. Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." - page 43
"But trust me when I tell you that the zebra is real. Somewhere, the zebra is dancing." - page 66
"Learn to listen! I beg of you. Pretend you are a dog like me and listen to other people rather than steal their stories."

Amen! Something I'm sure I could use improvement on. Something I can learn not only from my dog, but also from my man. The art of listening.

"The sun rises every day. What is to love? Lock the sun in a box. Force the sun to overcome adversity in order to rise. Then we will cheer!" - page 136

Adversity.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...