Sunday, January 8, 2012

Book 2012: Ludoliteracy

LudoliteracyLudoliteracy by Jose P. Zagal

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


What I enjoyed was learning more about videogame knowledge and getting a feel for how videogames are being addressed not just by 'gamers'/'fans' but gaining impressive insight regarding the newness of the field of game studies. J.P. Zagal presents a strong case for interactive, intentional and legitimate ways for students of game studies to contribute to the field as well asl numerous other aspects of games studies. His research seems solid, although I am the least game fluent 20-something year old on Goodreads, I'm sure.

One of the most distracting things for me was the formatting on the Kindle. There weretimeswhenIhadtoreadhugepassageswithoutanyspace <-- (not enjoyable.)


The primary reason I give this 2 stars is simply because it doesn't really fit with any of my actual interests. It was insightful and well written. It seemed like a well presented disertation and definitely offered me a few things to think abour in regard to my own academic writing, but I woulnd't necessarily want to read other material of a similar subject (so should prevent Goodreads from recommending such things by rating it low ^.^)


View all my reviews

A few other things: I read a lot of this on the bus. It never really captivated me. I kind of thought it'd be more about how games can be an effective or ineffective teaching tool, but that was not the case. Korea is a big gaming culture and I know a lot more gamers now, in more intimate friendships, than I had previously, so in that sense, this was good for gaining some understanding into that world and increasing my terminology for such things which prior was nearly non-existant. Other than that, I finished this book on a Monday of deskwarming while out on my lunch break where I enjoyed an incredibly large bowl or Korean pumpkin porridge.

(Typed having just finished a Jeonju mug of water in anticipation of that coffee mix I mentioned earlier!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...