Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Of Friendship: Water Wednesday's

My overall experience of friendships and relationships would be nothing were it not the family and community I had formed while living at 519.

From welcoming friends in to living with friends who were more like family, 519 is forever and always a place which rings true of what friendship should be and what it can provide.

Our friends, Micah and SaraJane, taught us incredible truths about social justice, living in community, living out conviction, simplifying, resting, intentionality and so much more.

Like how to embrace routine.
Or how to have a quarky, but endearing and ultimately wise set of rules which dictate a routine.

I don't know when, why or how it came up, but one day I learned there was a bit of schedule in our friends daily/weekly routine, to honor them, I will not share many details except that Wednesday was 'Water Wednesday'. For them, this meant watering plants and doing laundry and I suppose any other weekly water-related task.


At the time, I lived in a basement with adequate but not abundant sunlight, so I had no need to water plants on a weekly basis.

But now, I live in an apartment with normal size windows, but still inadequate sunlight, yet have managed to keep a couple of plants alive with a few more recently having been added to the plant family.

Without fail, when Wednesday rolls around, if I haven't yet watered my plants the words 'Water Wednesday' run through my mind and I am not only reminded to care for the houseplants, but of the friends who mean more than word and plant life to this soul of mine.

If you have some houseplants that need watering, why not take care of that on Wednesdays?

(Typed while sipping a rich, slightly smoky black tea from China out of my non-impressve stainless steel tumbler)

1 comment:

Micah and SaraJane said...

Ha! I said this out loud? Wow. :) Little worried about what else I have said out loud.
Love ya and miss ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...