Friday, March 2, 2012

Book 2012: The Hunger Games


The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Absolutely enjoyed this, as I was sure I would with all my friends constantly raving about it and getting quite pumped for the movie (now my fingers are crossed the movie will make it to South Korea). Engaging from the outset, fascinating plot line, fantastic heroine, interesting relationships between characters themselves and characters and the government, so much to keep the reader attentive and unwilling to put the book down.

Highlights:

"District Twelve. Where you can starve to death in safety." (p. 6/location 66)

"So instead of acknowledging applause, I stand there unmoving while they take part in the boldest form of dissent they can manage. Silence. Which says we do not agree. We do not condone. All of this is wrong." (p. 24/location 293)

"Kind people have a way of working their way inside me and rooting there." (p. 49/location 595)


View all my reviews

A few other notes:

I would have read this in one sitting...except I was too anxious to start and ended up reading a couple of chapters on the bus while commuting to work. Then, I almost finished it on a Friday night but let myself be dragged out to a 'meet-the-newbies' party at a smoky bar where a creepy middle-aged man told me I was beautiful and kissed me on the cheek/ear. I should have stayed home. Although, I did enjoy being with my man as he fell into a rare but enjoyable chit-chatty session on the walk home since he'd drank a few drinks. Nonetheless, it felt like one sitting and I'm now trying to convince myself to do some housework before starting the second one of the trilogy...ugh.

(Typed while sipping the remnants of earl grey tea from a brown bone china mug...yeah, it's kind of cold now).

1 comment:

Micah and SaraJane said...

Glad you read it and liked it! Micah just finished the series. the first is definitely the best, but overall no major complaints. Sorry about the kiss from stranger man, but glad that you were able to enjoy a conversation with your hubby. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...