Friday, March 9, 2012

Let's Talk...Hunger Games

Here's the thing, my brain cannot stop spinning with the rich imagery of The Hunger Games trilogy.

Here's the thing, my heart cannot stop spinning with the rich illusions to history, current events and issues of social justice which The Hunger Games trilogy presented.

And because of those two things, I need some conversation.

With friends.
With compassionate souls.
With book nerds.
With anyone really.
Especially if they've read these books.

I've only finished them within the last 24 hours. And, I think I could start on page one all over again. Except that I lost some sleep due to my often overactive brain, particularly when it's hyped up on fantastic yet disturbing and horrific imagery.

I don't know where I want this conversation to go and I'm not sure I can make a nice, orderly presentation of my thoughts, but I'll give it a go nonetheless.

Katniss. Maybe I should reconsider this post and just blog on specific characters and scenes...but the last thing I need is another ongoing series.

Katniss. I admired her, questioned her, pitied her, envied her, doubted her and needed her. But there was, for me a constant theme that this girl, simply happened to be in the 'right place at the right time' and had the character to withstand the pressure and expectation, although she doubted herself throughout. (This point actually reminded me a lot of Esther and the weeks I spent studying her story with a group of woman back in Laramie). I loved her for that. I loved the author for that. In this way, Katniss became relatable and inspirational.

Rather than get long-winded, I'll mention another aspect that's been on my mind and conclude this with hopes that my friends will engage in a bit of conversation and I can simply just enjoy where this goes, dialoguing back and forth.

The Hunger Games, a sacrificing of children, a reminder of dark days...

"Because something is significantly wrong with a creature that sacrifices its children's lives to settles its differences." (Mockingjay, p. 375)

...seems all the more worthy of reflection when the world has just begun to campaign Kony 2012. Right?

(Typed while trying to boost my energy with a sweet yellow teacup filled with Vietnamese coffee and sweetened condensed milk)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...