Monday, January 3, 2011

Meditation: V

Mid-December came and went in blur, leaving me few moments to reflect on anything beyond what to bake and prepare for Holiday celebrations and how to begin each day with enough motivation to get to work and do a half-way decent job at teaching. Not that December was extremely difficult by any means, just busy and challenging in that "I'm not in America" sort of way.

As for the scripture which now ended my 2010 and is bringing in my 2011 - I believe it fits both occassions well, so I am content and pleased that this post had such a long delay.

Search me, O God, and know my heart,
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me
and lead me in the way everlasting.

Psalm 139: 23-24

It's the perfect end because it is an end.
An end to Psalm 139
A place I've found comfort often
and particularly in 2010

As I read this passage a few days into 2011
I'm reminded of how these words,
this prayer
has always terrified me.
But for 2011, I think I'm ready to face this fear
and to claim these words as my prayer for 2011.

Another translation (NASB) reads:
"See if there be any hurtful way in me."
And another, (NLT) reads:
"Point out anything in me that offends you."

I know that I've done hurtful things
and offensive things
In general, I'd rather not think about them

This year however, I want to be known by God
and I want Him to reveal myself to me
and I want to accept each revelation with grace
and humility
and I want Him to guide me in the way everlasting

My prayer of 2011
 "Look deep into my heart, God, and find out
everything I am thinking.
Don't let me follow evil ways, but lead me
in the way that time has proven true."

Psalm 139: 23-24 Contemporary English Version


(Typed while sipping Lady Grey with milk and sugar from a pale yellow teacup)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've thoroughly enjoyed your meditations on Psalm 139. I'm glad you are willing to share these thoughts as I'm sure they are not easy to process and digest. But I appreciate the summations you provide on what you learn and feel and believe as a result.

Annalise said...

Erin said it so well, as per usual. :) ButI loved your reflections and the addition of other versions...that always helps me to process through a verse and let the true meaning settle deep into my heart as well. Also, excellent picture choice. :) Love you friend.

Unknown said...

Thanks Ladies! The meditations have been hugely beneficial in my realm as well - requiring me to REALLY, REALLY reflect on scripture and consider what it means for me in this time and place. Thanks for your love and support in this - I do believe I will continue w/ these meditations if only for my own accountability in reflection.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...