Sunday, January 9, 2011

Food is Communion

I haven't really taken the opportunity to sit and consider real life New Years Resolutions, but the past couple of days have brought a couple more or less to mind. Actually, the may not really count as resolutions - their more like 'ideas I'm kickin' around and want to see where they might go', and I'm conveniently having them at the beginning of the year. One such idea: I want to better track what I'm reading, how much I'm reading, and most importantly, process through what I'm reading. I have a handful of friends whose Facebook statuses proclaim the number of books they read this year as well as their favorites, etc. I just want to remember what I've read and what influences it causes in my daily living. Last year, I started writing a review for all of my Goodread books - but I don't really leave detailed thoughts because, personally, I don't want book snobs on Goodreads judging me for my lack of intellect or for liking a book they thought was subpar - I'd rather receive grace and an occassional criticism from people I trust and value - so, I'm bringing the Goodreads review here where I plan to elaborate a bit on how each book of 2011 affects me and other ramblings which may come about...so, now you know why this blog 'article' is about a book.

In Defense of Food: An Eater's ManifestoIn Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


"Michael Pollan and I are really on the same page when it comes to food and nutrition. The more real the food and the more intentionally it's being purchased, prepared and shared - the better. In current eating habits this read may seem profound, but ultimately, the advice and information provided are simple. Knowing food in this way, is what I desire in my own kitchen and household."


View all my reviews

This is obviously what I felt comfortable leaving on my Goodreads profile.

But let me tell you - I am SOOO incredibly passionate about food. I wish so deeply, that more people were convicted about the importance of food and eating plants that have nourished generation after generation. I wish all people would put just a little more effort into preparing their own food and meals at home. Here in Korea, I've began prearing quick, light, easy dishes and am continually shocked at how convinced some people are that convenient foods are the quickest, easiest dishes to prepare. For example, last night I took 10 minutes to prepare a dinner that was satisfying, delicious and made use of 'whole foods' (what did I make you ask? Well I just spread some hummus on a slice of bread, topped with onions and tomatoes, sprinkled with salt and pepper followed by olive oil and mozzarella cheese, toasted the boogers up in the oven while I fried a few eggs, topped each slice of bread with an egg and wham, bam, thank you ma'm we were sittin' down to a delicious dinner). 10 minutes! That's all. In Defense of Food really, really encourages me to continue forth on this path of caring about food, about preparing my own, knowing whats in what I'm eating and being intentional about eating. If you're not there or don't get it - I promise to do my best not to judge or condescend, just realize, this is my passion and has been for years!

And because reading a good book should always provide at least one good quote:

"Food is a form of communion with other people
and other species."
~Michael Pollan

(Typed while quickly downing a white Jeonju University labeled mug of Lady Grey Tea with one teaspoon of sugar)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...