Saturday, January 22, 2011

Introducing my Companion

We've now had our very own pet for nearly 24 hours.

She's sweet, calm and mellow. Not a yipper like many small dogs.
Inquisitive yet timid.
Nervous yet brave.
Adorable yet mutt-like
Friendly yet shy.

Photobucket


In 24 hours (plus a few additional hours prior to 'finalization') I have had numerous thoughts regarding this new companion recently adopted into our lives. I am excited to have a reason to get out and enjoy fresh air with greater frequency. I anticipate her adapting to us and learning to love people the way we do (yet I fear it just may not be her idea of a good time). I am nervous that I will not have what it takes to give this companion all that she needs and deserves to feel welcomed and cared for. I have never been so directly responsible for the health and happiness of anyone other than myself. (I can't imagine what thoughts one must entertain when entering the responsiblities of parenting).

I'm not so sure about this.
About my abilities.
About my responsibilities.
About my love.
About my patience.
About my sanity.

We are undertaking a lot.
Yet, it feels right. and good.

I can only imagine that the addition of this furry companion
is about to make life much more interesting
and teach me a bundle of lessons along the way!

(Typed having finished dinner with a glass of red wine followed by sitting on the floor beside this companion I've spoken so highly of)

2 comments:

Hannah Montana said...

I am so happy that you decided to adopt this precious furry girl. I hope that the next couple of weeks you find yourself smiling, laughing and learning, just about this little addition but about your capabilities! I love you Melissa!

Anonymous said...

I am always humbled by how intentional you are when you approach all facets of your life. Those are such introspective and thought-provoking questions, worries, and doubts you have laid out for yourself regarding this new addition to your family. And thoughts that I feel can be applicable to me in my current life even without a "companion." She is already loved and cared for in such a deep way just with your ponderings of such things. You will be a fantastic pet owner. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...