Saturday, January 22, 2011

Immigration

I just finished reading this story regarding immigration. It's at times heart-wrenching and other times heart-warming. In this story I have seen the ugliness that can be fallen man and the beauty which can be man redeemed. The story is specifically about one boy's journey atop trains, in the midst of trecherous weather, bandits and corrupt officials, the hardships he faces and his driving desire to see the mother who left him at the age of five to go to the United States. However, this story isn't just about one boy, it's about thousands of children who are left behind every year as mothers make the difficult and impossible decision to seek out better wages and opportunities in el norte with visions of supporting their children and saving enough to return home and maintain a 'priveleged' life.

Enrique's JourneyEnrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Were I to give this book a one word theme it would be that of 'broken-ness'. The story of Enrique is a story of thousands of immigrant children who experience broken relationships, broken homes, broken hearts, broken bones, broken innocence, broken reunions. The broken-ness extends beyond those children who make the trek from Central America to el norte into the broken-ness of systems, of poverty, of law-enforcement, of those who have gone before, and on and on. As difficult as this story is and the truths about immigration as it often looks are, it is a read worth tackling in order to understand just a small glimpse of what fuels immigration and love for ones family.
View all my reviews

The book left me aching to know my role in this situation. What can I do? What do I know and/or belive about immigration? What do I know and/or believe about poverty? Is there a feasable solution to what has been revealed to be a vicious cycle? I don't know.

What I do know is that I have a voice. I have a vocal, readable, recordable voice - the ability to speak on the behalf of those who don't. I have a voice which speaks loudly through my actions, even if I never open my mouth. I have a voice which is tied to my income and checkbook and will reveal where I succeed or fail in practicing what I preach.

One thing weighed on my heart in reading this - one drop in the bucket of good I contribute, of action point I can take...choosing wisely who to offer our Kiva Loan. Not in a "I don't trust what other borrowers are using their money for"  way but in a, "I have a new sense of what is happening in Central America and why women are leaving, it may well be worth it to invest in the women of those nations in hope that they will remain with their children and communities" way.

What are your thoughts on the issue of immigration? Have you read Enrique's Journey? How did it stir your emotions, call you to action, change your preceptions? Have you read other stories with a similar backdrop regarding immigration? Regarding parts of the world where pain is tangible and you feel moved to seek out a way to serve?

I'd love to hear/read your thoughts!

(Typed while enjoying a bit of strawberry milk before bed!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This book sounds great. It's on my list to read next. I have to say that immigration has been a tough factor these past few weeks as I have found out that several of the kids I work with had a family member get deported recently. Although, I do not know the exact circumstances, it breaks my heart for the students who have been living in the states for years (and some of them for their whole life), breaking every negative stereotype that they are known for. The one in my class has tested proficient in English and has scored proficient in reading, writing, and math on the standardized test and now can't stay here and will return to a less fortunate situation. It is a hard thing to deal with for sure to see how much these families have risked just to loose it all. I am looking forward to reading about Enrique's Journey.

Unknown said...

@Haleh - thanks for your thoughts and willingness to comment here. I remember a student telling me in Laramie that his mom "had to run" but "he had papers" - he was 8 and my heart broke thinking about the possibility she may be deported. It's so easy to see the strain and difficulties imposed on a nation b/c of immigration - yet the story becomes much more complex once we sit and listen to individual stories and look at immigration on an individual level. Such a difficult issue. I'm sorry you've had to see some students 'lose' family members to deportation - how difficult it must be for all involved...

Anonymous said...

This was an excellent book review/recommendation. I'm definitely interested in finding a copy. I've begun to notice that my policy stance on a majority of social arguments does not align with my personal opinion or heart and it's been VERY distressing! Most often, I am my own enemy and can form an argument against myself...and that's just scary! This sounds like a book I need to read to get back in touch with my personal heart on certain matters, while still keeping a level head on the "policy" side of things. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...