Monday, September 13, 2010

Korean Love Affair: Part One

A friend of mine whose lived and worked abroad forover 3 years offered this advice prior to our leaving the US: 'Once you arrive, discover what you love. The day(s) will come when you don't want to be there anymore. On those days, seek out what you love, what is specific to Korea.



Only 3 weeks in I've discovered some loves.
I anticipate discovering more.
Hence 'Part One'

Dear Korea,

It is for the following that I'm confident I will be falling in Love with you:

  • Your abundant, majestic and heavily forested peaks
  • The city parks
  • Markets where I can purchase a dozen onions for less than 1US$
  • Men who sell peaches from the flatbed of their truck, a baker's dozen for less than 5US$
  • The welcoming and hospitaple spirit of your people
  • Your love of food
  • For lettuce wrapped meat, bimbimbab, for walnut cookies and sweet ginger and cinnamon punch (sujeonggwa)
  • For letting us cook our food at the table and communal style eating
  • For freshly fried calamari and sweet potatoes across the street
  • For making new friends and reuniting with old
  • For cheerful Korean faces shouting "Hello!" or "I love you!"
  • For pants that fit -- just right. Finally.

Korea, I believe we'll have a good year. I'll be sure to update you as you continue to woo me. Until then keep showing me your greatness.

Yours Truly,

Melissa

(Typed while enjoying a mug of Earl Grey with milk and sugar from a Christmas themed mug -- why not?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*LIKE*

Micah and SaraJane said...

Great idea. Thanks for continuing to share about your journey.
Missing you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...