Saturday, April 21, 2012

Books 2012: Hippie Boy


Hippie Boy: A Girl's StoryHippie Boy: A Girl's Story by Ingrid Ricks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really love memoirs, the stories of people, every-day people. I especially enjoyed this memoir because it I think it is a story that is, in parts, more true and common in the states than most would perhaps realize. Poverty, religious-fanaticism, broken homes and the amazing ability of children to love their fathers/mothers. Having worked in a school with the poorer students of a small town, I felt like I was offered a glimpse of their lives, the stories they couldn't express and the humanity of us all. I suppose, in parts, I could even glimpse my own life at various intersections of the novel.

One passage that stood out, especially for the imagery:

"My stomach felt like a hundred bees were buzzing inside it, angrily stinging me as they bumped up against their prison walls." (location 142)

View all my reviews

A few more notes: (As in I should of Added):

I started reading this book because a dear, dear friend of mine started reading it and although she didn't email me to say "hey, you should read this book" it popped up in my Goodreads and I thought "hmm, I have that book too, I should read it!" I like feeling like I'm reading with friends, even if they're on the other side of the world. You should get on Goodreads and Link up to Pixel of Ink so we have the same books and you can help me decide what to read ^^ Just sayin.

(Typed while drinking water from a mug decorated by colorful little zoo animals and plants). 

2 comments:

Micah and SaraJane said...

So glad to see you reading this. I am reading it too! Haven't gotten too far due to all of the readings for students, but it is stirring up a lot of emotions from childhood. I'll try to finish soon so we can chat!

Unknown said...

SJ - I was wonder that about you the whole time, I mean wondering how it was emotionally, what you were thinking and if there were any similarities etc. I mean, I think there are some similiarites for everyone in everyone's story, but I did think of you often ^^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...