Monday, April 2, 2012

Book 2012: Daughters of Iraq

Daughters of IraqDaughters of Iraq by Revital Shiri-Horowitz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I enjoyed the way the naration of this novel changed, how it crossed generations and country borders. In these pages one learns about the power of family and history and the way we are connected to those who came before us. Really, well written and enjoyable - as well as insightful, I feel as I need to do a bit more research into the history of Iraq and the middle east in general.

"I must point out that in those days, women like my grandmother were considered peculiar; wandering through the villages and selling one's wares was not considered suitable work for women. Those who made a living in this way were treated as social outcasts, but my grandmother wasn't concerned with honor and status; she worried about how to feed her children. She didn't want to be a burden on her family, which was poor to begin with." - Location 467
"We never felt lonely. We experienced everything together: sadness, joy, hardship, prosperity." -Location 1059
Photobucket

"...to feel that no matter where they go, their home will always be there, in their heart. That's what we call roots. And thank God, we have strong roots." - Location 2523
View all my reviews

A few other notes:

This was yet another perfect bus book - chapters were the perfect length for me to read one or two while one the bus and before arriving at work - I just love that! I'm intrigued by the historical aspects of this book and feel I need to do some research regarding the accuracy of the events described which led Noa's (the main character) Jewish family to flee from Iraq and take up life as refugees and expats in Israel.

(Typed while finishing up a thermos filled to the brim with simple green tea)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...