Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Book: Married to Bhutan

Married to BhutanMarried to Bhutan by Linda Leaming


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Such a fascinating read about a country which is nearly impossible to fly into even in 2011 (I thought maybe we could take one of our vacations there, I think it requires more planning than we generally conduct for travels). A short stay in Bhutan quickly lead to life in Bhutan for Linda Leaming and the stories she shares are humurous, enlightening and entertaining.

A few gems:

"So along with all this peaceful beauty, there's a lot of vulnerability." (p.6)

"Sins of the flesh are probably the least destructive to humankind; and things like anger, hypocrisy, jealousy, greed, and pride are much more damaging in the end." (p.47)

"In Bhutan, saying very little is the epitome of good manners...It's more okay not to talk. People are comfortable with scilence. I believe my Bhutanese friends and family are talking without talking." (p. 64)

"Part of loving is just relishing the mystery and the improbability of it all." (p. 80)

"Winter is an inward time. Trees abandon their leaves, and their sap, their life force, concentrates in their trunks." (p.143)

"In my life, adventure and dreams have taken precedence over desire for material objects." (p.216)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...