Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Brothers and Sisters


After reading Life of Pi, I intended to share some more thoughts which were triggered through the writings and insight of Yan Martel.

Well here I am to get that ball rolling.

The following quote stood out to me for a number of reasons, primarily because it gives me a lot to chew on, and I kind of enjoy being forced into thinking about deeper matters such as this:

"It was my first clue that atheists are my brothers and sisters of a different faith, and every word they speak speaks of faith. Like me, they go as far as the legs of reason will carry them -- and then they leap." 
(Life of Pi, p. 35)

Perhaps what I appreciate most is simply being reminded that others are simply my brothers and sisters. 

Do I believe that Jesus is the Son of God, the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Without a doubt. It is, for me, the only possibility and my heart yearns deeply for others to recognize the same truth, my heart rejoices fully when others embrace that truth because I believe it with all that I am, in every nook and cranny of my heart and soul.

But, for me, that Love of Jesus should transform me and inspire me. In powerful, unexplainable ways. In simple, clear ways. In ways that don't set up walls between my brothers and sisters. In ways that lead me to view their worth and the worth of their beliefs in an honorable and loving way.

That's where my thoughts went with that quote. To the type of love I desire to bring this world, to people, regardless of everything.

Now...if only I could figure out how to get there without putting up such a fight in certain situations...

Grace and Peace to you, my brothers and sisters

(Typed while waiting for colorful zoo of a mug filled with instant caramel machiatto to cool down)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...