Sunday, November 27, 2011

Distance

Over 6,000 miles lay between me and my family (and a number of friends who are like family)

Somedays, I forget that truth.

I know that my love for them is no less impressive and deep than if I lived in their basement, next door or an hours drive from their front door. I know the reverse is also true.

However, in the last 15 months of living in South Korea a number of deaths have tugged at my heartstrings and begged me to ask why exactly are there more than 6,000 miles between me and those I’ve loved for since birth and my early years and even my post-college years.

Early Thanksgiving morning a man whom I had come to love during our trip home, a man who was loving my sister in a beautiful way, a man who was consistently making me laugh and enjoy my visit home and especially the time I had with my beloved sister, chose to take his life.

In an instant, the decision was made.

In an instant, his life was over.

In an instant, everything changed.

In an instant, I mourned and yearned for home.

In an instant, friends and family came together to remember with joy the life he lived.

But peace will not come in an instant. It’s going to be a long, dreadful road somedays.

Why should where I am be so far from where I’ve also loved and been loved?

1 comment:

Micah and SaraJane said...

Wishing more than ever that we could be there to love on you in person. Praying for you over and over...... love you friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...