Monday, November 7, 2011

Defending God

"There are always those who take it upon themselves to defend God, as if Ultimate Reality, as if the sustaining frame of existence, were something weak and helpless...These people fail to realize that it is on the inside that God must be defended, not on the outside." (Life of Pi, p. 89).

Interesting.

Defending God.

As if He isn't God. As if He needs me to give voice to His Authority.

Interesting.

Defending God.

Inside. As if it's me who doubts, struggles, refuses, hems-and-haws.
As if I am the one who is weak and helpless.



I'm thankful for books that give me things to chew on, to wrestle with and reflect on long after having read them.

(Typed while drowning out a 6th grade after school class with Andrew Bird and sipping instant coffee mix out of a shiny tumbler...30 minutes until I'm en route home!)

1 comment:

Sunshine83ish said...

I like this. I like that you focus on you rather then God. There are many facets to the idea of defending God (debate, evangelism, attempting to live to a certain standard). I identify with this, in a different angle at the moment. The simple concept that God doesn't need me, I need him, can help in every doubt and situation that tries to pull me away from what I believe.
Thanks for the reminder.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...