Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Book: Dracula

Perfect for the cool, Korean fall! Read most of this on the bus en route to work each and every week day...Almost missed my stop when reading some of the last pages I was so into it ^^

DraculaDracula by Bram Stoker

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Honestly, I wasn't sure I'd fall in love with this book, just thought I ought to read it seeing as it's a classic. I'm not so sure about the whole vampire craze these days but Dracula is a far cry from Twilight (not that I've read them). It was absolutely amazing.

The writing style is absolutely engaging and full of so many voices and perspectives. The strength of the men, the strength of Mina, their relationships with each other were all exquisite and beautiful. I loved each for their personal character and strengths which they brought forth to the task of facing Dracula. And the Count, entirely fascinating on his own right.

I would not hesitate to re-read this classic.

Interesting and Entertaining Bits:

"It seems to me that the further east you go the more unpunctual are the trains. What ought they to be in China?" (Location 52, Kindle)

"Chasing an errant swarm of bees is nothing to a following a naked lunatic, when the fit of escaping is upon him!" (Location 1725, Kindle)

"I comforted him as well as I could. In such cases men do not need much expression. A grip of the hand, a tightening of an arm over the shoulder, a sob in unison, are expressions of sympathy dear to a man's heart." (Location 2771, Kindle)

"For this enlightened age, when men believe not even what they see, the doubting of wise men would be his greatest strength." (Location 5255, Kindle)

View all my reviews

(Typed on Goodreads before being transferred to the blog while finishing an Americano with milk and honey courtesy of Paris Baguette/my cell phone provider).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...