Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Book: Half the Sky

Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women WorldwideHalf the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Perhaps one of the most fair, unbiased books I've held in my hands regarding humanitarian issues for which we all should be concerned. I cannot accurately describe how much I enjoyed reading this book, regardless of hard, ugly truths, the authors are consistent in shining a light on that which is hopeful, looking critically at what is failing in foreign aid and offering suggestions yet simultaneously encouraging innovation and flexibility in tackling issues of human rights. I confidently claim, that of all non-fiction books I've read, this is one I would eagerly pick right back up and begin reading again.

View all my reviews

Please read this. Then let's discuss.

Also, hold me accountable. In 6-12 weeks ask me if I am sponsor via Women for Women or not. Please and thank you.

P.S. Sorry I only post book reviews here...I'm trying to think of something else and when I can post something else, I miss releasing myself here, in this space, over a cup of tea.

(Typed having finished a glass of read wine sitting on a fold out couch with a sweet little Lady curled up by my feet)

2 comments:

Micah and SaraJane said...

I want to read this... do you have the actual book? I sat next to a man from Botswana on the way to Ethiopia who was reading this book and he agreed with it so much. He recommended it to me then and two years later I am still waiting to read it.

Unknown said...

SaraJane, You MUST read this! It's so, so wonderful. I have the actual book, as well as a short line of folks here wanting to read it :( Sorry - but you'd love it enough to have it on your shelf, to reference, to lend, to re-read - I am sure of that. I know your heart for practicality and not spending money of books, but you would truly love this and should at least ask for it for Christmas or your birthday ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...