Sunday, October 2, 2011

Book: The Oak Leaves


The Oak LeavesThe Oak Leaves by Maureen Lang

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


There are two stories being told in Maureen-Lang's book The Oak Leaves. One in modern-day US (perhaps New York) and one from the late 1800s between Ireland and England. I much preferred the story coming out of Ireland and England and so desperately wanted to get back to that aspect of the novel each and every time the modern day story took the stage. This is not, however, to say the modern day story was not as well written, I simply didn't enjoy the characters to the same degree. The book is written with Christian faith as a central theme alongside the impressions held throughout history regarding people with special needs, in this case Fragile X (which I had not previously heard of).

Bits I enjoyed/highlighted:

"Seeing what's gone before can help us know what to expect from life" (p. 3)

"I have often pondered whether more travel helps us learn about ourselves. I believe it might be true." (p. 169)

"'Happiness follows simplicity.' Perhaps, if I may bend this proverb a bit, happiness follows the simple." (p. 333)

View all my reviews

 Additional thoughts on this book:

I was not too fond of the modern day character's because, honestly, they struggled so much to accept that their child wouldn't be 'normal'. And this, my friends, is most likely a glaring flaw in my ability to understand what being a parent must entail. Or perhaps it's just that, I think about these things. I think about what life will be like if we give birth or are matched to a child with a special need and my heart and mind are convinced we would not hesitate nor question the beauty of their life in ours -- but I know so little in this regard. I suppose people do want perfect children, or healthy children or normal children and that makes all the sense in the world to me. Perhaps, these feelings simply come from the fact that I don't have a dream family, nor do I dream often of our perfect family. (I never had a dream wedding either and was oh-so-thankful when the day came that it was a representation of us rather than my childhood dreams - but that's a prideful soap-box).

So, I don't know. My distaste for the modern day characters is likely judgmental and unfounded. Also, obviously, reveals some pride in my heart regarding how I assume I would face such a challenge. I have no idea what parenting days are going to bring, I'm just continually hopeful that I'll stand strong in the One thing that has proven strong in this life regardless of my pride and naivety.

(Typed with thoughts of boiling water for a mug of green tea with a drop of honey in a sweet yellow teacup)

1 comment:

Micah and SaraJane said...

I think that I had similar thoughts when it came to anticipating parenting and how I would respond to my children. I think that you and Mike have huge hearts, and as you have done so well in the past, you will make anyone feel welcomed, valued and right at home. I do also believe though that there will naturally be moments of grieving whatever there is to come with any child. I have definitely grieved more than I anticipated for our little man.

Love you and miss you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...