Friday, February 18, 2011

Meditation:VI

Approximately one and a half months have passed since I used this space to mull over and work through some scripture. However, I've been mulling over a bit of scripture and am quite excited to share some findings and have a place to put them down. First of all, I really enjoyed being in Psalm 139 for an extended period of time therefore I've decided to continue forth with scripture memory in a similar fashion and will spend the next few months in Matthew 5:3-12 ~ The Beattitudes. I'm also considering remaining in the red words of the Bible throughout 2011.

To begin this round of meditations, Matthew 5:3

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

What does it mean to be 'poor in spirit'?
From the perspective of various translations, here is what I learned:

Blessed are those who...

are at the end of their rope
are humble, who rate themselves insignificant
realize their need for [the Lord]
depend only on Him
realize their spiritual poverty
who recognize they are spiritually helpless
are spiritually needy
know that they need Him

Initially, this passage really tripped me up.
Sometimes, I read: Poor in Spirit (i.e. Holy Spirit)
rather than sprit, personality, character, need.

Seeing these translations help me to see just how
blessed
we can be when we recognize our need for Him.

(Typed while finishing off a Brown Bone China mug of Earl Grey with a bit of Sugar and Milk)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thank you for sharing! I love that you are so open about what God is teaching you. I so look forward to hearing how He moves you in Matthew. Lots and lots and lots of love your way from Laramie. We miss you girl!

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to all that you have to share about the beatitudes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...