Sunday, July 15, 2012

How I will Remember

My recent post isn't that typical of how I choose to present myself in this place.

It is a reminder to me, that journaling privately may be a worthwhile pursuit.

It is additionally a reminder that speaking honestly, being honest with yourself about emotions and feelings whether beautiful or ugly is a sweet, nourishing treat for the soul.

I'm not sure how the memories of my Korean teaching experience are going to be carried forth. I know, that within time, I will know that it was difficult and challenging, but what I will relive with the most frequency is...

how I've had students work so hard to use a second language which they have a minimal understand of, to know me and introduce their lives and their nation to me.

how some of my students have out traveled me.

how some of my students can relate to being a foreigner, in a strange land.

how through the difficulty of the past year, I have met my Korean soul sister and I daily recognized that that friendship is, without a doubt, worth every unpleasant memory and moment.

how my students have faithfully given me notes, sent me emails, offered me food and shouted warm hellos as I walk throughout the hallways and anywhere within a 1km radius of the school.

how my co-workers have consistently provided snacks, often at times when I was quite legitimately in need of food and how often times those snacks were delicious and fully enjoyable.

how I've had ridiculous amounts of time to blog and facebook and pinterest and read while at work.

how I've gained incredible skills in using PowerPoint and a few other technologies to create learning materials that are engaging.

how I've gained incredible skills in using non-technology based learning games because I think Korean students may spend too much time staring at 'screens'.

how within this position, I was able to complete a Master's degree without the addition of too much stress.

how we were able to afford an online Master's degree because of this work and still go home with savings.

how the co-worker who caused me the most difficulties gave me a hug which conveyed her regret and will undoubtedly assist me in my own process of forgiveness.

how these two years have provided me more than I can fathom, both good and bad, but ultimately formative and life-changing.

(typed while drinking water and eating cookies brought to me by a co-worker ^^)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...