Thursday, June 14, 2012

Goals: May Update and a word about June

As you may recall, April's goals didn't play out exactly according to plan - and I felt no regret. Actually, I  predicted May and the summer in general would follow in a similar trajectory.

So far, I'm quite accurate in that assumption.

I wanted to re-claim my morning time for meditation, prayer, stretching, etc. I didn't manage that, and it's still something I'm working on getting back into a habit of sorts. I need that time, to just be with myself and my thoughts, to mull them over and rework them into prayers and hopes and clarity. Unfortunately, in the inital moments of stree and feeling overwhelmed, I retreat from this healthy habit and simply withdraw in less productive ways. June will have me continuing toward this goal of finding peace amidst this ocassionaly hectic and chaotic life.

May also begin with my hesitations about running in the heat - I didn't run once in May. I don't feel guilty or shameful, but I hope that at some point in my life, running makes sense - as in all things come together to make it a truly enjoyable experience.

Three of May's goals however panned out relatively lovely. I made three pies (would have been four were it not for a week of horrible allergy and stress-enduced sickness) AND, I've continued the pie love into June and am so happy to be a pastry maker and more thrilled to have friends come over and rave about the crust - it's flakiness and perfectness...oh how I live for culinary success.

Aside from pies, I also conquered the Post Office in ways I had not previously accomplished. I sent a lot of letters and even a few packages. I wish I'd been better about this from the beginning of our time here. And, of course, I conquered the book challenge. I don't entirely love having to commute by bus to work everyday, but I do love the extra time to read and learn.

As for June and Goals...

I don't have many.

We're unsure where we'll be come the end of August. There's a fairly high chance we'll be stateside. That means our time in Korea is winding down, kind of unexpectedly - I thought I'd foresee this moment with a little more sureity, but that's not the case. So, with this uncertainty about the next year, Mike and I have a new fire and desire to set out on weekend trips and to see and do anything and everything to soak up the things we love about this second home of ours. I imagine this will continue throughout the summer.

I'm keeping up with my pies. Just made a pineapple pie the other night. Fantastic.

And, I'm working toward developing myself as a professional. Thinking about how best to put together a portfolio of professional achievements and certifications. Reading books and articles about cover letters, resumes, interviews, etc. I'm not sure I imagined I'd feel this type of motivation anytime soon, but here it is and I'm going to take advantage of it.

In line with developing myself as a professional (maybe I should say professional candidate?), however, in line with this, I'm making sure that I leave this position as a Guest English Teacher in Korean public schools with integrity and committment to my responsibilities. I'm laying out what I hope will be one of my best vacation English camps and plan to teach with joy and compassion for these students and my co-workers - regardless of any hard feelings I may harbor.

So, I guess those are goals.

Here's to being half-way through June ^^ (AND well on my way to conquering these goals...hehe).

(Typed while sipping from a small paper cup of instant coffee with cream and sugar)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...