Saturday, May 19, 2012

Books 2012: Room

RoomRoom by Emma Donoghue

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Absolutely beautiful and at times chilling, yet fabulously insightful and filled with the love of a mother for her son. I've been wanting to read ROOM for a while now and was thankful to finally have some free space in which to do so. A child narrator. A story of perceptions. of protection. of fear. of captivity. Absolutely enjoyed working through this book.

"Before I didn't even know to be mad that we can't open Door, my head was too small to have Outside in it. When I was a little kid I thought like a little kid, but now I'm five I know everything." pg. 102

View all my reviews

A few other notes:

I really can't put into words how deeply moving and thought-provoking this work was. I'd wanted to read it for months (maybe more than year, not entirely sure) so was obviously grateful to have the time and space to do so. Emma Donoghue did a fantastic job keeping the story heart-breaking yet beautifully simple and heartfelt. Again, I can't put much into words, but I do highly, HIGHLY recommend Room.

(Typed a few days late and with the taste of banana smoothie still fresh on my tongue).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...