Monday, February 27, 2012

Book 2012: Little Women

Little Women (Little Women, #1)Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I absolutely loved reading Little Women. It came at a time (and perhaps it's timeless enough that this would always be true) that I could truly and deeply relate to so many of the characters, their personalities, their perspectives and their positions, absolutely fantastic! Aside from simply enjoying the story, I continually felt like this was a story my Grandma would tell, about her perspective on life and the way things were simple and beautiful even growing up in a not so wealthy household, and that just makes a story pleasant and enjoyable to the utmost (if you love your grandma the way I do ^^).
A few favorite quotes:
"Our burdens are here, our road is before us, and the longing for goodness and happiness is the guide that leads us through many troubles and mistakes to the peace which is a true Celestial City." (pg. 14 - location 130)
"I want my daughters to be beautiful, accomplished, and good. To be admired, loved, and respected. To have a happy youth, to be well and wisely married, and to lead useful, pleasant lives, with as little care and sorrow to try them as God sees fit to send. To be loved and chosen by a good man is the best and sweetest thing which can happen to a woman, and I sincerely hope my girls may know this beautiful experience." (pg. 137 - location 1329)
"Money is a good and useful thing, Jo, and I hope my girls will never feel the need of it too bitterly, nor be tempted by too much." (pg 284 - location 2764)
"It's very curious, but the more I try to satisfy myself with all sorts of natural affections, the more I seem to want. I'd no idea hearts could take in so many. Mine is so elastic, it never seems full now, and I used to be quite contented with my family." (pg. 329 - location 6019)
View all my reviews

A few other notes: I started reading this in the fall just to discover that it would be one of my book clubs reads so I should hold off on finishing it. So, this February, I picked it up again and spent a lot of time reading it while sitting in a cold Korean Elementary school, on the bus, on a plane bound for Vietnam and finished the read laying out on a beach on Phu Qouc Island, Vietnam. And it fit each of those locations so beautifully well.

Above in my review, I mention how I really connect to the characters of the March family. I also admire the characters and hope so desperately to acquire some of the same traits expressed by each as I continue to 'grow-up' - the servant-heart and compliant spirit of Beth, the passionate fire and spark of Jo, the wanderlust, formality and roots of humility of Amy, the maturity, insight and comittment to a healthy marriage of Meg and the hospitality and wisdom of Mr. and Mrs. March.

(Typed with a slight hint of that Caramel Machiatto still resting on my lips...)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...