Saturday, July 2, 2011

Book: The Memory Keeper's Daughter

The Memory Keeper's DaughterThe Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I appreciated the real-ness of this story. Real in the sense, that I kept expecting a redemption that was grand and reuniting amongst all characters, however the depth of pain and betrayal and hardship were deep and I believe the author dealt with these components in a compassionate, redemptive yet very real way. Not that I didn't want redemption to win, that I didn't want a Savior to undo the hurt and the pain, I want that, I've seen that and I love that. I just didn't feel it in these characters. I didn't feel it was their time or their place and I was grateful that the author felt and allowed for the same.

The synopsis of twins, one without complication the other with a diagnosis of Downs Syndrome made for an engaging read. It is difficult to imagine being placed in such a situation where giving away one of two seems like the best choice. I cannot imagine the regret felt by David, the grief felt by Norah nor the shock felt by Caroline. The story is full of such complexities that are reflective of all people.

Lines that stand out:

"This was her life. Not the life she had once dreamed of, not a life her younger self would ever have imagined or desired, but the life she was living with all its complexities. This was her life, built with care and attention, and it was good." (p.322)

"Grief it seemed, was a physical place." (p. 388).

"He'd poured his story out to her in such a rush, the first and last time he had ever told it, and she had listened without judging him. There was freedom in that." (p. 395)
View all my reviews

1 comment:

Micah and SaraJane said...

Glad to hear your thoughts. This is a line that stood out to me:
"Love was within her all the time, and its only renewal came from giving it away."
pg. 247

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...